Ethics in Research
The following resources from ASHA, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and other sources provide information on ethical guidelines, human subject protection, the Institutional Review Board (IRB) process, and more.
ASHA Resources on Research Ethics
ASHA Code of Ethics
View ASHA Code of Ethics sections specifically related to research.
ASHA Board of Ethics Issue Statements
ASHA Committee on Research Integrity and Publication Practices, Guidelines for the Responsible Conduct of Research: Ethics and the Publication Process
Research Integrity Supplement, Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research (JSLHR), February 2011
A supplement issue focusing on the responsibility of both scientists and institutions to establish and uphold ethical standards and practices in the conduct of research, and the necessity for education about the responsible conduct of research.
- Research Integrity in Communication Sciences and Disorders: Preface, by S. Moss
- Ethics I: Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)—Historical and Contemporary Issues Pertaining to Human and Animal Experimentation, by J. Horner and F. Minifie
- Ethics II: Mentoring, Collaboration, Peer Review, and Data Management and Ownership, by J. Horner and F. Minifie
- Ethics III: Publication Practices and Authorship, Conflicts of Interest, and Research Misconduct, by J. Horner and F. Minifie
- Ethical Principles Associated With the Publication of Research in ASHA's Scholarly Journals: Importance and Adequacy of Coverage, by J. Ingham et al.
- Responsible Conduct of Research in Communication Sciences and Disorders: Faculty and Student Perceptions, by F. Minifie et al.
Protection of Human Subjects
The bases for human subject protection:
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Extramural Research (OER), Research Involving Human Subjects
Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP)
Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Research Integrity
HHS policies, regulations, information on research misconduct, conferences, publications, and more
- The Lab, an interactive movie on research misconduct
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Guidance for Institutional Review Boards and Clinical Investigators
FDA’s current thinking on protection of human subjects in research
World Health Organization (WHO) Ethical standards and procedures for research with human beings
Guidelines, regional activities, and more
General Information on Research Ethics
Research Ethics Blog
Human Subjects Research Ethics blog
The American Journal of Bioethics blog
Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R)
Information on ethical and regulatory issues affecting research, and access to certification, networking, and professional development resources
On Being A Scientist: Responsible Conduct In Research
eBook from the National Academies Press
webGURU, Northeastern University
Information for undergraduates on professionalism and considerations in the lab
Ethics CORE, National Center for Professional & Research Ethics
Educational materials, scholarly articles, and more