For the first time in the association's history, individuals who work with certified audiologists or speech-language pathologists are invited to affiliate with ASHA and enjoy benefits designed especially for support personnel in communication sciences and disorders (CSD).
Beginning Sept. 1, speech-language pathology assistants (SLPAs), audiology assistants, and other support personnel in CSD may apply for ASHA affiliate status under the new Associates Program. In creating this program, ASHA is responding to two groups: members who supervise support personnel and CSD assistants seeking the benefits of affiliation with a professional association.
An overwhelming number of members who supervise assistants have said that both they and their staff could benefit from allowing assistants to have a relationship with ASHA. Those working as CSD support personnel—who, by ASHA estimates, number more than 30,000 nationwide—are looking for ways to network, for professional development opportunities specifically designed for assistants, for access to CSD information and research, and to develop their own community.
Specific information about the program appears in the FAQs on the following two pages.
Benefits to affiliation include:
- Networking opportunities with other assistants.
- Affinity benefits.
- Consultation with ASHA professional practices staff.
- Listing and search capabilities on ASHA's online member and affiliate directory.
- Opportunities to participate in advocacy efforts.
- Participation in mentoring programs.
- Reduced registration fees for education programs and products.
- Access to the online Career Center.
- Subscription to The ASHA Leader and access to The ASHA Leader Online (ALO).
- Access to four online scholarly journals.
- Subscription to an e-newsletter for assistants.
- Access to an assistants' e-group (e-mail discussion list/forum/social network).
- Opportunity to earn professional development hours (PDHs) in training specifically designed for SLPAs and audiology assistants.
For more information and future updates about the Associates Program, including instructions on how to join in September, visit the Associate's Program webpage on ASHA's website.
ASHA Affiliation Is a "Must"
California SLP-SLPA Team Forge Successful Partnership
Dynamic Duo Forges Smooth Relationship
Audiology Assistant Welcomes Program
Associates Program FAQs
Convention Sessions for Associates