Honors of NSSLHA
The Honors of NSSLHA is the highest award bestowed by National NSSLHA. It recognizes an individual whose contributions have enhanced or altered the course of NSSLHA or students studying the communication sciences and disorders (CSD) professions.
This award is not intended to recognize chapter advisors (who should be nominated for Chapter Advisor Honors) or local members (who should be nominated for Member Honors). National NSSLHA will award, at most, one award each year; however, it is not required.
An individual may be nominated for the Honors of NSSLHA award if the following criteria are met:
- candidate is an ASHA certified member in good standing;
- candidate has not received the award in the past three years.
Nominations will be accepted online from February 1 through May 1 at noon, Eastern time. Nominations for the Honors of NSSLHA award may be received from a:
- current or past member of NSSLHA Executive Council;
- chapter advisor, co-advisor, or local officer from a NSSLHA chapter in good standing;
- past recipient of NSSLHA or ASHA Honors;
- representative from the state association;
- current ASHA Executive Board or ASHA committee member.
Nominations require three letters of recommendation (no more than 1,000 words each):
- at least two letters must be from past or present students;
- one letter must be from another source (e.g., colleagues, service organizations the candidate is involved with).
Letters should include:
- a description of how the nominee has enhanced or altered the course of National NSSLHA and/or students in CSD programs;
- examples of how the nominee demonstrates NSSLHA's core values;
- examples of how the nominee has inspired others within the chapter.
The recipient of the Honors of NSSLHA award receives:
- a trophy;
- recognition at a NSSLHA event at the ASHA Convention;
- recognition in The ASHA Leader and in NSSLHA communications.
Submissions are reviewed by National NSSLHA staff to confirm eligibility. The Executive Council will select one recipient for the Honors of NSSLHA award. National NSSLHA staff will notify the recipient in May.
View past recipients of the Honors of NSSLHA.