Speech-Language Pathology and the Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS)
Information for Prospective Participants
Information for Current Participants
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' (CMS) Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) is a voluntary incentive payment program for eligible health care professionals. It is designed to support improvements in quality of care to Medicare beneficiaries through the tracking of practice patterns. PQRS is separate from the Medicare claims-based reporting initiative and is only for SLPs who directly bill Medicare Part B for the provision of services to stroke patients.
Eight of ASHA's adult NOMS Functional Communication Measures (FCM) have been classified as quality measures, and we are now approved by CMS as a registry through which eligible SLPs can report on these measures. The approved FCMs [PDF] include spoken language comprehension, spoken language expression, motor speech, writing, reading, attention, memory and swallowing. We are currently seeking new and existing NOMS participants to take part in the Physician Quality Reporting System. As an official registry, ASHA will submit NOMS data on your behalf to CMS. To be eligible for the end of year incentive payment, you must meet the following program requirements:
- Provide speech-language pathology services in a private practice setting to adult stroke patients covered under Medicare Part B
- Directly bill for services under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule using your individual National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- Have an individual NPI, as assigned by CMS
- Have an associated Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
- Collect and submit NOMS data on three or more quality measures for at least 80% of all eligible Medicare beneficiaries in the reporting period.
Eligible SLPs who wish to participate in PQRS should register for NOMS data collection.
To find out more about NOMS and the Physican Quality Reporting System, please view the frequently asked questions or contact Tobi Frymark at firstname.lastname@example.org or Floyd Roye at email@example.com.