Certification Reinstatement: Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I'm eligible for reinstatement of the CCC?
Reinstatement of the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) may be available to eligible individuals after ASHA certification has been dropped, resigned, retired, or revoked, who meet the following criteria.
- An individual whose ASHA certification was dropped for failing to comply with certification maintenance standards
- An individual who decides to return to practice after resigning his/her ASHA certification
- An individual who decides to return to practice after retiring his/her ASHA certification
- An individual whose ASHA certification was revoked by the Board of Ethics, but who has petitioned and received approval to reinstate from the Board of Ethics, as well as met all the Board's reinstatement conditions or requirements
Where can I find reinstatement policies and procedures, and obtain an application?
You can read the audiology and speech-language pathology reinstatement policies and procedures, and print a copy of the reinstatement application, on the ASHA website.
What is the processing time for a reinstatement application?
Once received at the National Office, please allow 4–6 weeks, and sometimes as long as 6–8 weeks or more during very busy periods, for the review of your completed reinstatement application and all additional required documentation. Certification cannot be reinstated until we have verified that all reinstatement requirements have been met.
How many hours of professional development do I need to have completed in order to be eligible for reinstatement?
Evidence needed of professional development hours (certificates of completion/attendance) is based on the number of years since certification was dropped or revoked.
- 1 year = 10 hours
- 2 years = 20 hours
- 3 or more years = 30 hours
How do I know if I have to retake the Praxis exam?
If your passing Praxis score was achieved more than 5 years prior to your application for reinstatement, then you must retake the exam.
What are the dues/fees for reinstatement of the CCC?
The dues/fees for reinstatement of the CCC-SLP or CCC-A are:
- $375 for CCC-SLP or CCC-A and ASHA membership
- $349 for CCC-SLP or CCC-A without ASHA membership
Who can I speak with if I have more questions about the reinstatement process?
If you have further questions, please contact the Action Center at 800-498-2071 or e-mail email@example.com.