American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

Certification Standards for Speech-Language Pathology Frequently Asked Questions: Certification Maintenance/Forms and Documentation

2005 SLP Certification Standards

Certification Maintenance

Once I am certified, what do I need to do to maintain my certification?

You must do three things to maintain your certified status:

  1. pay your annual dues/fees when billed
  2. continue to abide by the ASHA Code of Ethics
  3. participate in continuing professional development hours sufficient to meet the certification maintenance requirements outlined on the ASHA website

What happens if I don't pay the annual fees or if I don't comply with the certification maintenance requirement?

Failure to pay annual fees or meet the maintenance requirement will cause your certification to be dropped or revoked. Should you decide at a later date that you wish to again be certified, you will need to meet the certification reinstatement requirements in effect at the time you submit your reinstatement application. Current certification maintenance requirements and reinstatement procedures are detailed on the ASHA website.

Forms and Documentation

How will student progress in meeting the certification standards be documented?

Programs may use the mechanisms of their choice to document and track student progress in the acquisition of knowledge and skills. The Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) will review an accredited program's process and forms to ensure compliance with its standard related to accurate record keeping. The Council for Clinical Certification in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CFCC) requires an applicant to file a certification application [PDF] that contains the "Verification by Program Director" page to verify that the student has met the appropriate knowledge and skills mandated by the standards

What happens if it is determined that a student has not met all of the requisite knowledge and skills for certification?

Programs must discuss their assessment of knowledge and skill acquisition with the student and it is anticipated that the program will work with the student to develop a plan to address the need for further development. It is the program's responsibility to ensure that the student has met all of the knowledge and skills prior to signing the application for ASHA certification.

Where is the KASA form? I can't find it on the website.

KASA refers to the Knowledge and Skills Acquisition form previously used by the CFCC for applicants for clinical certification. This form is no longer used for certification and has never been a requirement for accreditation purposes. Please refer to How to Apply for Speech-Language Pathology Certification in the certification section of the ASHA website for current information about the application process for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in speech-language pathology.

What must be submitted when applying for certification?

Applicants who apply within 3 years of completion of the graduate degree need to submit the 4-page application form (includes the "Verification by Program Director" page), and either an official transcript showing the date the degree was awarded or a letter from the registrar indicating that the degree requirements have been completed, the degree designation, and the date the degree was or will be awarded. If the application is received more than 3 years after receipt of the graduate degree, the applicant must also submit both undergraduate and graduate transcripts for all courses being used to meet ASHA certification. And all applicants are required to submit payment of the appropriate dues/fees to initiate the certification process.

Applicants for certification are also required to submit the Speech-Language Pathology Clinical Fellowship (SLPCF) Report and Rating form [PDF] at the conclusion of the CF experience, and verification from ETS of having achieved a passing score on the Praxis examination in speech-language pathology.

Can I apply for certification if I have not yet completed the Praxis exam?

Yes. Individuals are eligible to apply for certification once all graduate level academic course work and clinical practicum have been completed and they have been judged by the graduate program as having met all of the knowledge and skills mandated by the current standards.

Before submitting my application, what things do I need to remember to do?

  1. Be sure to review all of the paperwork you will be submitting to make sure that you have completed it correctly, that the application bears your signature on page 2, and that the "Verification by Program Director" page has been completed and signed by the director of your graduate program;
  2. Before you send in your application, make a copy for your records. While it is a rare occurrence, there are times when materials are lost in the mail and applicants must submit a copy of the original forms in order to affect the certification process. Additionally, the National Office does not retain paper copies of the forms you submit and they are not available once certification has been granted;
  3. Please be sure that you have enclosed the appropriate payment either through check or credit card. ASHA accepts Discover, MasterCard, and Visa. Applications received without the appropriate payment will be returned to the applicant.

Once I send in my application, how long will it take to learn whether or not I have been certified?

It will usually take 4–6 weeks from receipt of your application for it to be processed, but may take as long as 6–8 weeks during very busy periods. Your care and attention in submitting the application and all required materials will make the process easier. You can check on the status of your application by e-mailing Certification Administration at

Does ASHA have a policy on pay for practicum?

ASHA policy allows students to receive pay for services they provide within the clinical practicum setting. However, some academic programs or state licensure laws may have policies that prohibit students from being paid for their practicum work. In such cases, ASHA defers to the university's or state's decision about such payment.

Share This Page

Print This Page