Certification Standards for Audiology
Frequently Asked Questions: Forms and Documentation
How should a program track student progress in meeting ASHA standards?
Programs may use the mechanism of their choice to document and track student progress in the acquisition of knowledge and skills.
What form should individuals use to apply for ASHA certification?
The application form [PDF] addressing 2012 standards is available on the ASHA website. All applicants will submit pages 1 and 2 that provide their background information, as well as the "Verification by Program Director" page, which must be completed and signed by the director of the graduate educational program.
Where is the KASA form? I can't find it on the website.
KASA refers to the Knowledge and Skills Acquisition form previously used by the Council For Clinical Certification in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CFCC) for applicants for clinical certification. This form is no longer used for certification and has never been a requirement for accreditation purposes. Please refer to How to Apply for Audiology Certification in the certification section of the ASHA website for current information about the application process for the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) in audiology.
What else must be submitted for certification?
All applicants will be required to submit verification of receipt of the graduate degree. This can be accomplished in one of two ways:
- submission of an official transcript that shows the degree and the date it was earned, or
- a letter from the university registrar verifying this information is acceptable in lieu of the official transcript if all course work, practicum, and degree requirements have been completed, and the degree will be awarded at a later date.
All applicants are also required to submit payment of the appropriate dues/fees to initiate the certification process.
What happens if it is determined that a student has not met all of the requisite knowledge and skills for certification?
Programs must discuss their assessment of the student's knowledge and skill acquisition with the student and it is anticipated that the program will work with the student to develop a plan to address the need for further development. It is the program's responsibility to ensure that the student has met all of the knowledge and skills prior to signing the application for ASHA certification.
Can I apply for certification if I have not yet completed the Praxis exam?
Yes. Individuals are eligible for apply for certification once all graduate level academic course work and clinical practicum have been completed, and they have been judged by the graduate program as having met all of the knowledge and skills mandated by the current standards.
After I apply for certification, how much time do I have to complete the requirements?
Once you apply for certification you have 2 years in which to complete the certification process.
Before submitting my application, what things do I need to remember to do?
- Be sure to review all of the paperwork you will be submitting to make sure that you have completed it correctly, that the application bears your signature on page 2, and that the "Verification by Program Director" page has been completed and signed by the director of your graduate program.
- Before you send in your application, make a copy for your records. While it is a rare occurrence, there are times when materials are lost in the mail and applicants must submit a copy of the original forms in order to effect the application process. Additionally, the National Office does not retain paper copies of the forms you submit and copies are not available once certification has been granted.
- Please be sure that you have enclosed the appropriate payment either through check or credit card. ASHA accepts Discover, MasterCard, and Visa. Applications received without the appropriate payment will be returned to the applicant.
Once I send in my application, how long will it take to learn whether or not I have been certified?
It will take about 4–6 weeks from receipt of your complete application for it to be processed. Your attention and care in submitting the application and all required materials will make the process easier. You can check on the status of your application by e-mailing Certification Administration at email@example.com.