American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

Choosing the Right College or University

Make Sure You Select a Program That Leads to Your Profession

Select a college or university that offers a broad education in arts and sciences, including the social, physical, and biological sciences; health; English/language arts; mathematics; humanities;and technology. A strong foundation in oral and written communication is also desirable, plus basic courses in the speech, language, and hearing sciences.

A CAA-Accredited Program Is a Must

For your future certification by ASHA, you must complete your graduate course work and clinical practicum at a college or university whose program is accredited by the ASHA Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA). This assures graduates that their academic and clinical experience meets nationally established standards.

Visit EdFind for more information.

Fortunately, You Have a Wealth of Choices

Across the nation, 261 institutions of higher education offer CAA-accredited or candidate programs:

  • 252 master's‑level speech-language pathology programs
  • 74 doctoral‑level audiology programs

There's a Wealth of Financial Aid, Too

Share This Page

Print This Page