American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

New Hampshire Support Personnel Requirements

The following information includes speech-language pathology and audiology support personnel requirements in educational and other practice settings. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that regulations and policy may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Speech-Language Pathology

School Setting Requirements

Speech-language assistants employed in schools approved by the Department of Education are exempt from the licensure board certification requirements.

Statutory and Regulatory Requirements

  1. Speech-language assistant means any person certified by the governing board of speech-language pathologists who meets minimum qualifications which are less than those necessary for licensing as a speech-language pathologist and who does not act independently but works under the direction and supervision of a speech-language pathologist licensed by the board. Speech language assistants must hold a 2-year associate's degree or higher in speech-language pathology, communication sciences and disorders or communication disorders awarded by the Council on Academic Accreditation or regional accrediting bodies listed in rules;
  2. The assistant must be of good professional character and reliability.
  3. The supervising SLP must inform the consumer when using an assistant.
  4. Supervisors may supervise no more than 3 assistants.
  5. First 90 days direct supervision of an assistant shall be 30% of an assistant's time each week and indirect, no less that 30% each week; after 90 days supervision shall be 10% direct and indirect each work week.
  6. Certified speech language assistants must maintain 12 hours of continuing competence per biennium.


School Setting Requirements

No regulation provided.

Statutory and Regulatory Requirements

No regulation provided.


For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathology and audiology support personnel in educational and other practice settings, please visit these websites:

Laws for Speech-Language Pathology Assistants

Rules for Speech-Language Pathology Assistants

To see where your state stands on support personnel licensure trends, please view the trends charts which are updated annually:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

Share This Page

Print This Page