American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

Alaska Support Personnel Requirements

The following information includes speech-language pathology and audiology support personnel requirements in educational and other practice settings. The information is reviewed on an annual basis. Please be advised that regulations and policy may change at any time, so always check with your state for the most up-to-date information.

Speech-Language Pathology

School Setting Requirements

No additional requirements.

Statutory and Regulatory Requirements

  1. Speech-language pathology assistants must be registered with the state licensure board in all setttings (no exemption for school-based individuals).
  2. Speech-language pathology assistants must have an associate of applied science degree in disabilities with a speech-language support emphasis either from the University of Alaska, Anchorage, in affiliation with Prince William Sound Community College, or from another approved program or a bachelor's degree in speech-language pathology from an accredited institution, and submit proof satisfactory to the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development that the individual has completed 100 hours of field work supervised by a licensed speech-language pathologist.
  3. A supervising speech-language pathologist must be state licensed or credentialed by the state department of education (valid Type A or Type C teaching certificate with an endorsement in speech-language pathology, speech and hearing sciences, or communication disorders).
  4. A supervisor must design and implement a plan for supervision of the assistant. A plan for supervision must provide for direct supervision of the assistant for at least 50% of the SLPA services during the first 90 days of employment and after the first 90 days, for at least 20% of the SLPA services.
  5. Assistants must complete 15 hours of approved continuing education biennially.
  6. A supervising speech-language pathologist may not supervise more than two individuals or carry a higher caseload of clients while supervising an assistant than when the SLP was not supervising an assistant.


School Setting Requirements


Statutory and Regulatory Requirements



For further information on laws and regulations for speech-language pathology and audiology support personnel in educational and other practice settings, please visit this website:

Laws and Regulations [PDF]

To see where your state stands on support personnel licensure trends, please view the trend charts which are updated periodically:

Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.

Share This Page

Print This Page