Fact Sheet on Sanctions for Schools In Need of Improvement

No Child Left Behind

Under NCLB, every state must set the goals that each school must meet. Schools that do not make adequate yearly progress (AYP) for two consecutive years will be identified as "needing improvement."

States must determine if each school and district (even those that do not receive Title I funds) make AYP. The disadvantaged students who attend schools that are "in need of improvement" are eligible for extra help called "supplemental education services." To that end, each state is required to publish a list of schools deemed to be in need of improvement.

Supplemental educational services refer to tutoring and other supplemental academic enrichment services, usually in reading, language arts, or math. This extra help can be provided before or after school, on weekends, or in the summer. Supplemental services are available to students from low-income families who attend schools that have not made adequate yearly progress for two years as well as schools that have not improved after the initial two-year period, and are subject to corrective action or restructuring.

Providers of supplement educational services may be non-profit entities, for-profit entities, local educational agencies, public schools, public charter schools, private schools, public or private institutions of higher education, and faith-based organizations. All providers must meet the same identification criteria developed and applied by the state educational agency (SEA) and must undergo the same selection process. No entity can automatically be considered a supplemental services provider. The SEA must maintain a list of all approved providers in the state.

Speech-language pathologists can apply to become a supplemental educational service provider if he/she is organized as a non-profit or for-profit entity and meets the applicable statutory and regulatory requirements as well as the state’s criteria for approval. For more information on how to become a supplemental educational services provider, contact your state education agency.


U.S. Department of Education website on Supplemental Services

ASHA Corporate Partners