A major health issue is involved: Research indicates that children are using personal audio technology to such an increasing extent that the usage is worrisome in terms of the potential long-term negative impact on their hearing. "Buds In The Schools Week" is an initiative of the Listen To Your Buds (www.listentoyourbuds.org) public education campaign of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). The campaign teaches children how to use personal audio technology safely so that they protect their hearing.
Buds In The Schools Week Officially Declared By Mayor Jerry Sanders: The San Diego elementary schools system will be engaged in Buds activities and six San Diego elementary schools will host in school concerts. The morning concerts will feature San Diego native Sandra Velasquez of Moona Luna. Internationally acclaimed jazz and world music artist Organ Etkin will perform during the afternoon concerts.
Daily morning school announcements related to hearing protection and related lesson plans will also be part of the observance.
ASHA is the sponsor of Buds In The Schools Week. The Week will be held in collaboration with the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov), at the National Institutes of Health, the Consumer Electronics Association (www.ce.org), Parents' Choice Foundation (www.parents-choice.org), Califone (www.califone.com), the Educational Audiology Association (www.edaud.org), Music Teachers National Association (www.mtna.org), the National Association For Music Education (www.menc.org), the National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts (www.hispanicarts.org), the Recording Industry Association of America (www.riaa.com), and Tune A Fish Records (www.tuneafishrecords.com).
Thirteen members of Congress, Democrats and Republicans, are currently honorary co-chairs of the Listen To Your Buds campaign.
Listen To Your Buds Campaign Caps Off Week in San Diego at USO San Diego 20th Annual Holiday Concert Saturday, November 19
The Listen To Your Buds Campaign will deliver its message of safe listening to military families at USO San Diego's 20th Annual Holiday Concert. The event will begin at 2:00 p.m., Saturday, November 19, at the Balboa Theater. Buds musicians Lucky Diaz and the Family Jam Band will perform with the Marine Band San Diego. Los Angeles CBS affiliate KCAL 9 recently hailed Lucky Diaz and the Family Jam Band as one of the "Best Kids' Bands in LA."
November 17–19 — 2011 ASHA Convention
The San Diego Convention Center will host ASHA's Annual Convention which will feature three days of workshops, paper sessions, and poster presentations. The Keynote Speaker is Jill Bolte Taylor, author of the best-selling book, My Stroke of Insight.
Here's a sampling of the presentations that will be offered:
- 1:30 p.m., Thursday, November 17: How Parents Can Help Their Child With Hearing Loss (Sails Pavilion, Session 8277, Poster Board 170)
- 1:30 p.m., Thursday, November 17: College Students Could Be Permanently Damaging Their Hearing (Sails Pavilion, Session 8001, Poster Board 002)
- 3:15 p.m., Thursday, November 17: Do Theater Experiences Increase Social Skills For Students With Autism? (Sails Pavilion, Session 8225, Poster Board 116)
- 4:00 p.m., Thursday, November 17: "Recognize, Report and Rest": Key Words In Concussion Education (Room 20D in the San Diego Convention Center, Session 0991)
- 8:00 a.m., Friday, November 18: Increasing Awareness Of Stroke Risk Factors In The Hispanic Population (Sails Pavilion, Session 8742, Poster Board 255)
- 1:30 p.m., Saturday, November 19: ASHA Member Speech-Language Pathologist: "The Friday Spelling Test Is A Waste Of Time." (Room 27A in the San Diego Convention Center, Session SC28)