Look at What We've Accomplished Together
ASHA...Working With You
Improving Coverage and Reimbursement
- Participated in the development, valuation, and passage of new intraoperative neurophysiology monitoring codes published in the 2013 Current Procedural Terminology (CPT © American Medical Association) Handbook
- Submitted proposals to the AMA for four new CPT evaluation codes related to voice and resonance, fluency, speech sound production, and language evaluation that are newly published in the 2014 CPT Handbook
For the Professions
Strengthening the Professions
- Conducted surveys, such as the 2013 SLP Health Care Survey, to gather information about important issues, monitor trends, and provide data for advocacy efforts
- Made available more than 33,000 course offerings through ASHA Approved CE Providers
- Launched the Practice Portal, providing easy access to the best available evidence, expertise, resources, and tools to guide evidence-based clinical decision-making. The Portal's clinical and professional issues pages are the result of contributions from more than 120 subject matter experts.
- Provided professional liability insurance via Marsh Affinity Group Services and other affinity benefits to support personnel for the first time via the Associates Program
- Coordinated the mentoring of more than 300 undergraduate and graduate CSD students through the S.T.E.P. mentoring program
- Provided research career mentoring for 176 students and more than 78 early stage scientists in CSD
- Conducted the annual CSD Education Survey to help track trends in the CSD pipeline and make informed decisions about the future supply of CSD personnel
- Launched CLARC (Clinicians and Researchers Collaborating) to enable clinicians and researchers to find each other for the purpose of establishing research collaborations
- Fielded the 2013 Accreditation Customer Feedback Survey to 6,000 individuals affiliated with CAA-accredited programs, as part of the Accreditation Quality Management System and to improve operations and services to stakeholders as well as assess and address the value of accreditation
- Submitted and defended the petition for continued recognition of the CAA by CHEA in order to maintain a nationally-recognized, quality accreditation program that promotes excellence in graduate education in audiology and speech-language pathology
Raising Awareness About the Professions
- Launched the Identify The Signs public education campaign—featuring an online Member Toolkit [PDF]—to educate the public about the warning signs of communication disorders
- Recognized Kenn Apel, CCC-SLP, and Julie Masterson, CCC-SLP, co-authors of Beyond Baby Talk, as 2013 Media Outreach Champion Award winners for their efforts in fostering media relations that benefit the professions
- Launched a regular "Spreading The Word" feature in The ASHA Leader giving members tips for public outreach
- Created the Reward Yourself career awareness video featuring seven ASHA members sharing the joys, rewards, and possibilities of being audiologists and speech-language pathologists
- Following 2 years of redesign and restructuring of content, the new ASHA Leader news magazine hit the stands in 2013. It's now more portable, accessible, and comprehensive than ever, featuring "news you can use," highlights of the latest research, and new columns showcasing the viewpoints and activities of ASHA members in social media and blogs.
For a Better Tomorrow
Providing Tools You Need to Succeed
- Enabled the viewing of CE Registry Transcripts—this feature was used by more than 87,000 ASHA CE Registry subscribers in 2013
- Created Practice Management Tools for Audiologists, a CD product containing customizable documents and resources for audiologists working in private practice
- Developed a library of hearing health education slide shows for members to use in their presentations
- Held cutting-edge conferences, such as the ASHA Convention, for a record number of members
- Assembled a distinguished faculty for the Audiology Online Conference on Central Auditory Processing Disorders: Clinical practices and the science behind them
- Awarded $50,000 to fund projects on multicultural activities, including the development of resources used in adult neurorehabilitation and when working with seniors living in poverty
- Launched the ASHA Learning Center to provide convenient access to CE course content as well as on-demand access to certificates of completion for all ASHA Professional Development courses
- Conferred the Award for Continuing Education (ACE) to 5,200 individuals
- Recorded over 30,000 course completions (an all-time high!) in the ASHA Learning Center, the new system for providing convenient access to CE course content and certificates of completion for all ASHA Professional Development courses
- Continued development and expansion of resources, including an Evaluators Guide, related to PACE (Performance Assessment of Contributions and Effectiveness of Speech-Language Pathologists)
- Hosted six innovative conferences in 2013, each tailored to meet the needs of specific audiences within our professional community and featuring late-breaking content, renowned speakers, and engaging learning formats
- Two In-Person Conferences:
- Four Online Conferences:
- Published important resources such as the book, RTI in Action, Grades 3–5: Oral and Written Language Activities for the Common Core State Standards
- Revised and updated many brochures and booklets, such as Speech-Language Pathologists & Your Child With Autism and Reward Yourself with a Career in Health Care, for greater health literacy and improved usability for your patients and clients
- Provided resources for members and consumers about DSM-5 for speech-language pathology–related diagnoses, including autism spectrum disorder, communication disorders, and specific learning disorder
- Created a Web-based mapping tool and other resources to help audiologists and SLPs prepare for the October 1, 2014, transition to ICD-10-CM (International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision, Clinical Modification)
- Developed comprehensive online billing and reimbursement resources, such as information on claims-based outcomes reporting for Medicare Part B Therapy Services and Medicare audits
Helping You Stay Connected
- Handled more than 127,000 calls and 39,000 e-mails (email@example.com) to the Action Center
- Added essays on Hearing Aids and the Brain, Intellectual Disabilities and Hearing Loss, and more to the archive of the ASHA Access Audiology e-zine
- Focused on adapting to changes in health care delivery in the annual ASHA Audiology Connections [PDF] magazine
- Produced six ASHA Access Schools, Access Audiology, and Access SLP Health Care e-newsletters, and authored a School Matters column in The ASHA Leader on topics relevant for school-based practice
- Continued to grow ASHA's social media presence—now more than 50,000 fans on our Facebook page and over 9,000 people following the ASHA Pinterest boards. With members connecting through hashtags such as #SLPeeps, #AUDPeeps, #BHSM, and #ASHA13, our Twitter feed has 20,000 Twitter followers.
- More than 70,000 members have logged into the ASHA Community since it launched in October 2011, with more than 36,000 messages posted by our members. The ASHA Community Mobile App was launched on August 27, 2013. Over 2,000 members have downloaded this convenient app and use it to seamlessly connect and interact with their colleagues.
"The best use of my membership dollars."
"I have been a member of the Special Interest Groups for more than 15 years. I love the articles. They make me smarter. While working for the DOE, I belonged to 1 and 16. Now, as a clinical supervisor at NYU, I belong to 1 and 2. I tell everyone to join."
ASHA Makes a Difference
- Nationally recognized certification
- Access to the latest research
- A proven track record on critical legislative and regulatory issues at all levels of government
- Professional consultation with staff experts
- Latest knowledge and information from fellow CSD professionals
- A wealth of online resources
- Tools for marketing our professions to consumers
- Access to more than 250 continuing education courses
- Unparalleled networking opportunities
- Participation in building the positive image of the professions
- Improved patient outcomes
- National standard for academic program accreditation
- Rigorous ethical standards
- Opportunity to impact the future of the professions through grants and scholarships
- A place to enhance leadership skills
Learn more—go to the Value of ASHA.
Get Involved and Make a Difference
- Be a lifelong member of ASHA...renew annually!
- Get involved—join a committee, Special Interest Group, or your state association.
- Support the ASHA-PAC and ASHFoundation.
- Become a mentor and encourage others to enter the professions.
- Network and become a lifelong learner.
- Promote yourself and the professions in your community.
- Be an advocate.
Renew your membership or affiliation online! For further information, or if you have any questions, please contact the Action Center at 800-498-2071.